Journal  

Journal ] Past Boats ] Favorite Tools ] My Shop ] Wooden Boat School ] Side Trips ] Contact Me ] Other Builders ]

July 14, 2003:  Refitting the Dash Bulkhead 

This morning we got an early start on refitting the dash bulkhead.  It's July in Florida and we lucked out by having an overcast sky.

This bulkhead has presented some problems.  We tried to fit it earlier and it was too wide, in fact, we pushed the sides to the limit.  We also discovered that the bulkhead bottom needed to be slightly curved instead of flat as in the original plans.  This is because the bottom plank refused to straighten without buckling.  In order to adjust the shape of the bulkhead we glued extra wood strips to the bottom of the bulkhead (which can be seen in the photo above).

We started the process by moving the bulkhead into the shop for fitting. We dropped the bulkhead inside the hull and estimated how much material would need to be cut off and at what angle.
We cut the material off each side in 1/4 inch increments, being careful to make identical cuts on each side.  The piece was fitted 3-4 times before we got it right. The finished bulkhead inside the hull.

As we were trimming the sides of the bulkhead I noticed that we were also trimming away a notch near the top of the bulkhead that will be used to hold the fore deck.  This decking notch is essential, so the top of the bulkhead, which supports the cabin, will also have to be trimmed to regain the deck space.  Normally this wouldn't be a problem except that the wall on the port side of the bulkhead is already rather thin.  Fortunately I saved the bulkhead cut out and we'll be able to use it to add a few inches to the bulkhead opening.

Back ] Next ]

Journal ] Past Boats ] Favorite Tools ] My Shop ] Wooden Boat School ] Side Trips ] Contact Me ] Other Builders ]