Journal  

Journal ] Past Boats ] Favorite Tools ] My Shop ] Wooden Boat School ] Side Trips ] Contact Me ] Other Builders ]

June 17, 2004:  More Fillets, More Sanding, and Motorwell Bulkheads/Partitions -  I've done quite a bit since my last entry, but haven't taken the time to sit down and sort it out.  Here goes:

The floor timbers and bulkheads have all gotten at least one fillet.  It is now a "floater".

This is the collection of spreaders that I used to do the job.  One size does not work for all of the fillets, especially along the chines, where the angle of the hull changes continuously. 

I had originally intended to wait until after rolling and covering the hull to make and install my motorwell bulkheads/partitions.  After giving it further thought I reversed myself and decided to do it before rolling the hull in case I do the well cut-out while the boat is upside down.

The first part of the fabrication was to use a carpenters square to measure the angles for the bulkhead After getting the angles and measuring the distance between the motor bracket and the transom I was able to make a pattern on a 3/4 inch piece of plywood

Cutting out the bulkhead.

Fitting the bulkhead:  The bulkhead fits fine, but the fillet at the bottom keeps the bulkhead from sliding all the way down.  It would have been a lot easier if I had cut and installed the bulkheads before doing the fillets!!!

I had two options at this point.  I could cut a notch in the bulkhead to make it slide all the way down, or cut a notch in the fillet to make the bulkhead fit properly.  I decided to cut a notch in the fillet.

I used a dremmel tool to notch the fillets.  This is the finished product.

My next step is to put fillets on one side of each of the motorwell bulkheads and the boat should be ready for the roll over!!!

Back ] Next ]

Journal ] Past Boats ] Favorite Tools ] My Shop ] Wooden Boat School ] Side Trips ] Contact Me ] Other Builders ]